Backyard Observatory

About the B.R.A.S. itself, or any topics that don't fit in the other forums.
kevin cornette

Backyard Observatory

Post by kevin cornette »

Hello, my name is kevin and I'm new to this site. I live near St. Francisville and I've recently upgraded from an 8" C-8 to the 11' CPC. But the size and weight of this new scope compared to my 8" ...lets just say its not as portable. Im 60 years old and lugging this thing in and out is causing me to miss a lot of good weather. So I'm looking at these backyard Skysheds,Nexdome, Explora dome type enclosures. Im hopeing someone here, I mean local to me may have some experience with these things, like is there a contractor anyone knows about that puts them up or builds them or even modifies Tuff Sheds? Even if you've gone through this yourself, any info or recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thanx
Christopher K.

Re: Backyard Observatory

Post by Christopher K. »

I don't believe there are contractors that specialize in portable domes. There are hardly any local locations to even buy a portable scope. I know that a few members of the club have either used independent constructions or added on to their actual houses.

Probably your best bet is to contact a business that has experience with the type of materials and joints/hinges the dome has. A long-standing BRAS member may have contacts, as might your local hardware store.
mhess

Re: Backyard Observatory

Post by mhess »

Check with Jack Heurkamp of Pearl River, LA. If I remember right, he had a commercial portable dome at one time and he may have been a distributor. He is the U.S. distributor for the Mallincam digital astro cameras. If he no longer handles them, he should be able to advise you. He finished his new permanent observatory last year and does regular live online stargazing videos of through his scopes. Tell him we referred you.

Jack's Astro Accessories
Jack Huerkamp
(985) 445-5063
mallincamusa@gmail.com