Baton Rouge Astronomical Society Forum

It is currently August 18th, 2018, 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tips, Tricks, Books
PostPosted: November 9th, 2013, 7:20 pm 

Chris' talk was very informative and entertaining. He described all major techniques for amateur astrophotographers, and gave examples of each. He stayed after to field questions from the patrons.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2014, 3:03 pm 

For the second time, BRAS member Chris Desselles will give an astrophotography presentation for absolute beginners. He will cover several different techniques, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. This lecture has free admission. It will take place on Friday 16 January, 7:30pm at the Highland Road Park Observatory.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 4:06 pm 

Thanks, Christopher. If I bring my reflector, could you help me move the primary mirror closer to the secondary in order to have the back focus needed for prime focus?

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 5:18 pm 

HRPO personnel cannot assist with a telescope on Friday nights, and the event on the 16th is a lecture only, not a class. The best choices for assistance are the BRAS meeting on Monday the 12th at 7pm, and the Learn Your Telescope course on Saturday the 24th from 3pm to 7pm.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 3:38 pm 

Brook:

What specific help do you need? Drilling the new mounting holes for the mirror cell?
If so, just bring it on the 16th. We can do it together after the lecture and Q&A session. It really doesn't take long to move the mirror. Recollimation may take a bit longer the first time, but you should be used to that process by now and can do that at home.
Let me know (right here on this thread will do) and I'll be sure to bring a drill and a few other tools.

Questions:
I assume we are speaking of a Newtonian reflector. What size is it? Metal tube or composite?
Have you calculated the adjustment measurement for the relocation of the mirror (usually 1.5")
Do you understand that after the modification you will need an eypiece extender to focus EPs for visual use?

"First star to the right, then straight on until morning!" - Peter Pan

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 8:36 pm 

Usually telescope assistance/adjustments just can't take place on Friday nights at HRPO due to lack of floor space (chairs for the lecture, you know). However, since Mr. Chris is personally offering go ahead and bring your scope; however, don't bring it in until Ms. Emily has cleared the floor of most of the chairs.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2015, 5:01 pm 

BRAS member Chris Desselles will repeat his excellent astrophotography presentation for absolute beginners. He will cover several different techniques, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. This lecture has free admission and will take place on Friday 11 September, 7:30pm at HRPO.