Computer For Astro-Imaging

Tips and tricks, and maybe even a few samples.
rockinrod

Computer For Astro-Imaging

Post by rockinrod » January 24th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

Dropping in to say hello, and I also need assistance in my latest astronomical endeavor...

I am gathering all the necessary equipment needed for astrophotography. Almost there...I have a Celestron 9.25 CGE XLT OTA Schmidt-Cassegrain mounted on my Losmandy G11, driven by a Gemini 2 GOTO system. I have a Skywatcher 50ED f/4.8 Refractor Guide Scope, with a Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2 Camera mounted in the backside.

My question is my computer which will drive all of this stuff. I think it will be adequate. Can those of you who do astro-imaging please review this Dell Inspiron 7000 13 MLK (7380), and let me know what you think. I will purchase this specifically for this project...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-la ... DNCWWA003H

Thank you, and Clear Skies...!

Rodney Bell
Former Member BRAS

mhess

Re: Computer For Astro-Imaging

Post by mhess » January 26th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Hi, Rodney.

I can't answer your question but you should check our our Baton Rouge Astrophotography Group Facebook page. It is restricted but I think you should be able to get in. I think you would get better response there.

rockinrod

Post by rockinrod » February 7th, 2019, 7:59 am

Good idea, let me check there. I ended up getting a souped up Lenova Think Pad, trying to install all the drive software now, another long process!

Poppa Chris

Post by Poppa Chris » February 23rd, 2019, 11:46 am

Your Dell should be more than sufficient for the Image Capture and telescope control functions you describe. The need for more processor power, RAM, storage, etc. only really becomes apparent when you come back inside and start to deal with all of the data you have accumulated. Stacking and adjusting images can stress older or less powerful machines. In this case, the faster processor and the more RAM you can afford, the better off you will be.

I use a 3.2Ghz Intel i8 with 32GB Ram and 256GB SSD "C drive" and 2TB storage HD "D" drive in my own machine for processing. Very capable.
My Capture and control machine is an aging HP Pavilion Laptop with a 2Ghz AMD processor and 6GB Ram with a 500GB hard drive. It has never let me down in the field.

Hope this helps!