Baton Rouge Astronomical Society Forum

It is currently November 24th, 2017, 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 8:53 pm 

Hello, myself and a couple of friends would love to try Astro photography. I have tried searching online and in this forum for locations in Louisiana with minimal light pollution but I am coming up blank. I would appreciate any pointers or location suggestions in Louisiana!
Thank you in advance!
Marina

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 1:07 pm 

That is a very good question. Cameras can gather more light than eyes, and collect that light permanently. Still, a natural sky with limited light pollution does help.

There are some government properties that the public may have access to at night, though you'd have to check: Bayou Teche National Wildlife Refuge, Lake Fausse Pointe State Park, Atchafalaya National Wildlife Refuge, Cat Island National Wildlife Refuge, Tickfaw State Park.

There are also some local and relatively nearby star parties. There is traditionally one in the fall in Norwood called Deep South; it's open to the public but there is a fee and I don't know the arrangers' photography policy. There is also usually a spring party at Hodges Gardens State Park, near Toledo Bend (I've heard that Park may be closing this year).

But remember, ultimately you must stop and reverse light pollution where you live, otherwise it will just follow you to the currently dark places!

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 12:14 pm 

I noticed this post from a while back. Dark skies are hard to come by in this part of the state. I have a private site about 35 miles north that gives me good overhead and northwestern skies. BUT, I am working on a project to establish a dark sky site near Centreville, MS about 1.5 hr driving time north. The town is quite small and the only significant light source. If everything goes through my site is far enough away from town that it won't be a serious problem. Should be nice and dark. I have approached BRAstro with the idea of a cooperative agreement to make the site available, so stay tuned, it is a work in progress.