Orion Explorer 10x50 WA Binocular

Talk or ask questions about the hardware used in astronomy.
Christopher K.

Orion Explorer 10x50 WA Binocular

Post by Christopher K. »

My binocular at this time is a nice 10x50 with a 6.5˚ field of view. I've used it for a few tasks this year, including C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy) in January and getting Altair and Tarazed together a few nights ago. I perceive it to be lighter than the Bushnells at the HRPO front desk.
Last edited by Christopher K. on July 23rd, 2015, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geckgo

Re: Orion Explorer 10x50 WA Binocular

Post by geckgo »

Nice. I'm still sporting a pair of 10x50 Simmons. Cheepo wally-world glass but they got me into scanning for faint fuzzies, which they seem to be pretty awesome at. Thinking about getting a 7x50 for a brighter view. Next pair I get will be Orion. I've been looking at the ~$100 pair for a while now.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. »

Well, I actually got this one as part of a package Orion was selling at the time. The kit included a small plastic planisphere and a strap to keep the binocular around one's neck. The kit also had a CD of The Starry Night.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. »

I'm taking advantage of the excellent transparency and very good seeing tonight, and I'm very happy with this binocular. They perform beautifully; I got Uranus about 9:10pm and Vesta about 9:30pm.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. »

HRPO's annual "Skygazing Binoculars" talk will be Friday 7 December, 7:30pm at the Highland Road Park Observatory. The speaker will be BRAS member Merrill Hess, who is the co-discoverer of five asteroids. The talk is aimed at a general adult audience interested in purchasing a binocular for the primary purpose of skygazing. Binoculars will be on display. There is no admission fee.

More information:
http://hrpo.lsu.edu/programs/friday.html