Binocular Suggestions

Talk or ask questions about the hardware used in astronomy.
jcwylie

Binocular Suggestions

Post by jcwylie »

I am looking to finally upgrade my binoculars and I was looking for some suggestions. What is the minimum magnification and objective diameter i should go with? Is there any reason I should go with a pair made by a company such as Celestron over say Bushnell or Leupold?
Jennifer C. Wylie

Christopher K.

Re: Binocular Suggestions

Post by Christopher K. »

If you are going to keep them handheld, I wouldn't go over 12x for the magnification. Some are able to keep a 15x binoc steady for an appreciable time, but I'd get a mount. There is also something called a Sky Window, made by Tricomachine, which allows one to mount the binoc above a flat pivoting mirror and therefore look through it as one looks through a microscope. Of course, in that case the image is flipped vertically.

I'm afraid I can't speak to different brands of binoculars. The three at HRPO are 10x Bushnells and they serve personnel, volunteers and patrons well. HRPO also will soon acquire a Meade 9x63. If you can buy in town do so as you'll want to test view it; I also would not buy a binocular with "zoom" optics.
Last edited by Christopher K. on April 11th, 2020, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher K.

Re: Binocular Suggestions

Post by Christopher K. »

The best-case scenario is to try out a binocular before purchase. As that is difficult if not impossible during this weird time, at least obtain a guarantee from the seller that the binocular can be returned if flawed.