Final Shuttle Mission Pushed Back?

About the B.R.A.S. itself, or any topics that don't fit in the other forums.
btoman

Final Shuttle Mission Pushed Back?

Post by btoman »

Looks like the shuttle program is extended until at least Feb. 2011. Of course, they haven't added any more missions, just pushed back the launch dates of the final two.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/ ... 2010-06-23

Christopher K.

Re: Final Shuttle Mission Pushed Back?

Post by Christopher K. »

The answer is yes. Discovery's STS-133 launch is now slated for 1 November at 3:33 p.m. CDT. Many of its payload materials weren't going to be ready for September. That pushes Endeavour's STS-134 mission to its next launch windown 26 February at 3:19 p.m. CST.

The STS-133 crew will deliver and install the Permanent Multipurpose Module and the Express Logistics Carrier 4. They will also attach the Permanent Multi-Purpose Module. The PMM is a modified Leonardo multi-purpose logistics module. The Commander is Steven Lindsay; he received his pilot wings at Reese Air Force Base, Texas and has logged over 6500 hours of flying time in more than 50 different types of aircraft. This will be his fifth space flight.

The STS-134 crew two S-band communications antennas, a high-pressure gas tank, additional spare parts for Dextre and micrometeoroid debris shields. The Endeavour flight will be the 36th to the ISS. The Commander is Mark Kelly; has logged over 5,000 flight hours in more than 50 different aircraft and has over 375 carrier landings. This will be his fourth space flight.

Somehow, delaying the last two launches makes the end of the shuttle flights that more bittersweet.

STS-133 mission page:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shutt ... index.html

gregg1ep00

Post by gregg1ep00 »

Chris I love your posts! It's like having ears inside of NASA. :D

I will be very sad to see the shuttle missions end. I know with the US debt where it is, the space exploration programs will probably be even more underfunded than they are now. I just hope that we can continue pushing the envelope here on the ground, developing new exploration technologies to keep up.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. »

Thanks, Greg, and I'm glad you and your daughter were able to visit HRPO.

February 26th of next year is a Saturday. Although there's a good chance of a postponement I can' t think of a better way of ending the shuttle mission (if the rumored "extra" launch after February does not occur) than a Saturday afternoon with millions of people tuned in watch the last flight of a icon.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. »

Although I never got to see a launch or landing, former Science Academy Cadet Hayley (she's now in law school!) and her family did. A new documentary on the Space Shuttle called "Best of the Best" airs on NASA-TV tomorrow at 7pm CDT and 8pm CDT.