Gratitude

About the B.R.A.S. itself, or any topics that don't fit in the other forums.
CarloC

Gratitude

Post by CarloC »

To everyone at BRAS:

This may seem like an odd post but I spend most of my time working with people on relationships and saying goodbye is a part of that. To not say goodbye would just not feel right to me.

I have only been in BRAS for about 6 months and I have met many really really nice people here. I felt intrigued by astronomy at the old age of 57 and wanted to give it a go. I remember reading somewhere that, in astronomy, you can't buy ability no matter what you spend on equipment. I have found that to be true and learned that you can't buy patience either. So, I am retiring (lol) from astronomy and once I decided that, I realized the decision was right for me. I want to thank everyone, especially Scott L., Don from Rockefeller, and John N., for your warm and enthusiastic welcome. I really like you folks. But, I have tried a few hobbies that didn't last (e.g. motorcycles and scooters) and have some that I will never leave (e.g. drumming and homebrewing). It's time to reallocate my energy back to the ones that are sticking. My membership is good for 2020 so I will keep reading the newsletter and won't completely rule out making a meeting.

I have some pretty nice equipment and will be posting it here as well as on Cloudy Nights.

Thanks for a good time! :)
Carlo

Christopher K.

Re: Gratitude

Post by Christopher K. »

Well, Carlos I'm glad the Society gave you a few good times.

Beginning in 1976 I believe, the late Jack Horkheimer hosted a fifteen-minute syndicated show encouraging people to step into the yard and look at a notable celestial object or event. Everything he recommended doing was unaided-eye. So keep that in mind; you are always an astronomer if you "keeping looking up".

farmboy

Post by farmboy »

Carlos, I want to thank you for always helping out when needed. I am sorry to see you leave astronomy. Do not forget us, come by sometime and see us and give us an update on what you are doing. Clear Skies!

CarloC

Post by CarloC »

Christopher and Farmboy:

Thank you for the kind words. I didn't get notifications or would have replied sooner.

Yes, I'm keeping my binoculars and planisphere, at a minimum. And the red headlamp and flashlight. And an astronomy textbook. And the 2 (one was an accident) warm caps.

Yes, I may stop by sometime, thanks!

Carlo