"The End of Night" by Paul Bogard

The bane of every astronomer's existence.
Christopher K.

"The End of Night" by Paul Bogard

Post by Christopher K. » June 14th, 2016, 1:32 pm

The subtitle of this book is Searching for Natural Darkness in an Age of Artificial Light. I have only read the first few chapters and can only say that those chapters have no extremely strong language. Bogard teaches English at James Madison University.

The RENEW Book Club meets monthly at the Main EBRPL Library. On Tuesday the 21st at 7pm, the Book Club will discuss this book. The book uses the interesting process of devoting each chapter to places on the Earth sharing a level of light pollution; the book progresses from worst skies to best (or as close to best as possible).

Please join us Tuesday night at the Main Library (7711 Goodwood Boulevard). You do not have to have finished or even started the book to discuss the state of light pollution in the general Baton Rouge area, and what all of us can do to reverse the problem. For more information call 231-3750 and ask for Thomas.

More information:
http://www.paul-bogard.com/books-and-writings/
http://ebrpl.evanced.info/signup/EventD ... 28097&lib=

Christopher K.

Re: "The End of Night" by Paul Bogard

Post by Christopher K. » June 21st, 2016, 4:02 pm

Please consider joining us tonight. I'll bring a map illustrating the Highland Road Park Observatory's declared service area and those municipalities BRAS has approached concerning efficient outdoor lighting.

I'll also bring BRAS' Sky Quality Meter, a device from Unihedron used to gauge in an objective manner the level of artificial sky glow above any particular area. I'll have all the measurements taken by me in 2016 and in 2015.

Christopher K.

Re: "The End of Night" by Paul Bogard

Post by Christopher K. » June 22nd, 2016, 3:40 pm

The meeting was very instructive and informative. Thanks to Andrew and Thomas in EBRPL Reference for hosting the discussion. Roz and I attended, as did a couple of ladies and Sylvia from Reference. One of the ladies said that she was always fascinated when she finds out "what she didn't know she didn't know". It is true, light pollution is not perceived as a problem by many but once it is the solution is quite easily understood and easily initiated.

Caution: The End of Night contains at least one instance of a moderate-level curse word.