Baton Rouge Lakes Project

The bane of every astronomer's existence.
Christopher K.

Baton Rouge Lakes Project

Post by Christopher K. » December 11th, 2014, 2:19 pm

The Baton Rouge Area Foundation is interested in restoring the Lakes around LSU. Apparently these lakes are, on average, fewer than eighty centimeters in depth. BRAF's $750,000 idea is using as its springboard a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredging proposal. The collaborators include EBRP government (the owners of the lakes), LSU and BREC. A final plan is slated for the summer of 2015.

Tonight at 6pm in the LSU Union Cotillion Ballroom, the public is invited to show and give input concerning future use of the lakes, including any development such as outdoor lighting.

There is also a function on the Project website that allows giving input remotely...
http://www.batonrougelakes.org/baton-ro ... s-project/

Christopher K.

Re: Baton Rouge Lakes Project

Post by Christopher K. » December 30th, 2014, 9:43 am

I attended the function at the Cotillion Ballroom on behalf of BRAS. I believe I was the only one there associated with HRPO. The presenters placed a large map of the lakes and surrounding areas at each of the large round table. Also at each table were markers denoting suggested uses for the lakes and lakeshore that those seated could manipulate on the map while they discuss.

I mentioned my interest in seeing only FCO lighting used in any new development. As there was a representative of the presenters seated at each table to facilitate the discussion, I'm hopeful that BRAS' concerns will be passed along.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » January 21st, 2015, 9:47 am

Another meeting concerning development around the Lakes is planned, this time for Thursday 29 January, 6pm to 8pm at the Lod Cook Alumni Center. The is yet another chance for all interested parties to express interest in full-cut-off lighting (where lighting is necessary at all) for all new development on the Baton Rouge Lakes.

Lod Cook Alumni Center:
http://www.lsualumni.org/contact-us

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » January 30th, 2015, 4:04 pm

I attended the meeting at Lod Cook last night. The place was so packed that extra chairs had to be brought in from another area of the building to accommodate all who had come for the slide show.

After the slide show there were several tables set up where visitors could join a representative of the consulting agency to talk about possible use of the lakeshore, altering of traffic lanes, etc. I mentioned I was from BRAS and that BRAS wanted new lighting installed only when necessary--and wanted new lighting to be FCO. Happily, the agency representative at my table mentioned light pollution before I said anything.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » April 16th, 2015, 4:13 pm

The next public meeting concerning this project will take place on Tuesday 12 May, 6pm at the Lod Cook Alumni Center. The draft of the master plan will be available for comment.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » May 26th, 2015, 6:18 pm

I could only stay at the 12 May meeting until near the end of the slideshow presentation. However, I did stay until the section on lighting and I am happy to report that light pollution was actually mentioned in the slideshow!

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » June 18th, 2015, 10:55 am

Today's Baton Rouge Advocate reports that the Project could receive in state construction funds no more than seven-and-a-half percent of the predicted forty million dollars it would take to perform all changes outlined to the public. The Baton Rouge Area Foundation will know this fall, when the State Bond Commission would give approval.

More information:
18 June 2015 Baton Rouge Advocate, p. 1A

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » July 3rd, 2015, 1:35 pm

The Baton Rouge Area Foundation will have an open house on Thursday 16 July at the Lod Cook Alumni Center so the general public can view the master plan for the Baton Rouge Lakes. A brief presentation will occur at 6pm and designers will be available to answer questions.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. » October 30th, 2018, 10:03 am

The Baton Rouge Area Foundation has asked BREC to use five million dollars to begin the process of dredging the six-lake system. Apparently, BREC owns two of the lakes and LSU owns the other four.

More information:
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 466a6.html