Baton Rouge Astronomical Society Forum

It is currently November 24th, 2017, 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 1:51 pm 

It is almost that time of year again. It is now less than 4 weeks from today and the 31st edition (the 5th one at the Feliciana Retreat Center) will begin. Now is the time to register if you have not done so; registration rates will increase on October 18th. It is also likely that we will once again fill all lodge rooms, so if you want one, register now.

I anticipate that we will have another good selection of door prizes this year. I showed the Orion EON 120 mm apo doublet refractor that will serve as our main prize at the September meeting of the Pontchartrain Astronomy Society. It will be our main prize on Saturday afternoon. On Friday afternoon our main prize will be a very nice set of Meade 60 degree field eyepieces (6 in a case). In addition other big prizes are expected. Currently I am getting shipments or confirmation of shipments from companies that have stuff on the way to us. Depending upon what we receive and what our registration is looking like, I may buy a few more things to add to the door prize drawings. That will be determined shortly after the October 18th early registration deadline.

At present I do think that our attendance will not be quite as good as last year, our big 30th Annual DSRSG. Not a problem really and what this may do is allow us to move the field perimeter boundaries in a bit. Doing that will give everyone a better horizon on the field side that they are closest to.

Vendors - unfortunately it does not look like we will have a vendor set up this year. Last year Jeff Goldstein (AstroGizmos) attended the DSRSG first and then moved on to the Chiefland Star Party. He said that he sold a lot of stuff at the DSRSG and would be low on inventory for Chiefland. I suppose he is making it up to them this year because that is where he will be.

In addition I did talk to Rex (Rex's AstroStuff). He has not done an event since 2009, the last one he did was the DSRSG that year. His son is not yet old enough to watch the store and the economy is slow. Rex sends his regrets, he would like to attend but cannot.

So what does this mean? It means it is time to start doing home inventory now. See what you don't need, don't want, don't use. Pack it up and bring it to the DSRSG. Set up a table by your scope or canopy and sell your stuff. What you have maybe someone else's treasure. I know there is plenty of stuff out there just waiting for a new home.

What about the weather? We will have weather, that is guaranteed, just what it will be cannot be determined just yet, but for grins and giggles you can consult the Olde Farmer's Almanac.

I also want to remind everyone that while the DSRSG begins on Wednesday, October 30th and runs to Sunday, November 3rd, that does not and should not prevent anyone from attending for a smaller segment of time. We have a good number of people who attend every year but do not arrive until Friday afternoon. We also have a fair number of people who come up on Saturday morning or even Saturday afternoon to spend a few hours. Who knows, Saturday may turn out to be the best day (and night) weather wise.

Driving time from Baton Rouge - just about 1 hour, maybe a little less for some of you. Driving time from New Orleans - about 1.5 to 1.75 hours. From Jackson, MS - about 1.75 to 2 hours.

Once again I end this post asking all to ask questions if you have any. Your question and it's answer maybe helpful to others.

Barry Simon