Baton Rouge Astronomical Society Forum

It is currently November 24th, 2017, 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 4th, 2013, 3:11 pm 

I have just uploaded to the Files Section the revised Registration and Liability Form for this fall's DSRSG to the DSRSG Yahoo Group site. This will be the 31st Edition of the DSRSG. It is the oldest continuous star party in the southeastern United States.

See - tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Deep-South-Regional-Star-Gaze/

Our dates for the DSRSG are Wednesday, October 30th to Sunday, November 3rd. We will still be on daylight savings time until 2 am on Sunday morning, so be aware of that. You can get a little extra sleep before you get up Sunday morning.

Look for the Registration forms in the DSRSG XXXI folder in the Files Section of the DSRSG Yahoo Group website. They are available as both PDF and Word documents.

Note - what follows was discussed at length after our last DSRSG so I will not dwell on it, but be aware of it -

The Feliciana Retreat Center is an "alcohol free (prohibited) facility". We were on a long leash, but that consideration was abused. We are now on a short leash. No excuses. Violate this rule and you will be asked to leave, end of story. This is further covered in our Liability Form.

In addition, set up on the field (scopes) or around it's perimeter (canopies and vehicles) have to wait until we lay out the field. Some persist in their impatience. They have to wait, they will be signing the Liability Waiver and this is covered there too. We implore anyone who is impatient to resist the urge to set up early because it is very likely you will have to move your stuff. Be considerate of the work we have to do and wait. We will begin laying out the field and getting it ready for setup no later than 10 am. This job should be finished by 10:30 am. All who come before or during setup should volunteer to help in the process, not get in the way.

Questions?

Let me know.

Barry Simon, Director
DSRSG

PostPosted: September 19th, 2013, 2:24 pm 

These are the sunsets and civil twilights...
30 October = sunset 6:17pm / civil twilight 6:42pm
31 October = sunset 6:17pm / civil twilight 6:42pm
1 November = sunset 6:16pm / civil twilight 6:41pm
2 November = sunset 6:15pm / civil twilight 6:40pm
All times are Daylight.

Thanks for the information, Barry. I'm sure a good time will be had by all, and I hope skies will be nice.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 9:48 am 

Barry, can you post the lighting rules on the BRAS Forum? Not everyone has (or wants) access to the Yahoo group, and I've received at least one comment that items are somewhat difficult to find in that group.

I want to get my registration postmarked with tomorrow's date, but I'd like to see the lighting rules first.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 2:42 pm 

Once again, Wednesday and Thursday were bad. Wednesday was basically cloudy; while Thursday was rainy. However, Craig went Thursday and said although he drove through fairly heavy rain it was mostly clear above the (wet) field that night.