Baton Rouge Astronomical Society Forum

It is currently August 19th, 2017, 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 8th, 2017, 10:43 am 

Hi folks, I am looking to put my perfectly functional lx 200 fork mount and X wedge into someone's hands who will put them to work at a bargain price.

Details: I deforked the optical tube (OTA) and had it set up on an alt/az mount. The whole settup was stolen out of my back yard. I got an insurance settlement and replaced the OTA with a Celestron, so don't need the mount anymore. I had used the mount with the wedge for a couple years previously, so both have evidence of use, some scuffs here and there. The original OTA that went with this mount is this one: https://www.optcorp.com/meade-10-f-10-acf-uhtc-ota.html.

A new owner would be wise to confirm that this is a direct fit to the mount before buying the OTA (I bought it as a kit, with the mount), but I'm pretty sure it is. The folks at OPT or the Cloudy Night forum would be a good source of information for this and other details.

The mount worked fine last time I fired it up a little over a year ago, but you might need to reload the firmware (although I suspect it will work just fine as is). Comes with the hand controller, AC power converter, and instruction manual. The X wedge comes with the instruction manual but is missing the tangent wedge. The latter is needed for alt/az fine adjustment for polar alignment. There is a long discussion on Cloudy Nights about fabricating one, and it's pretty straightforward to figure out (basically just a slotted bracket bolted to the tripod or pier). Several of the fasteners are also missing, but are common sizes at hardware stores and sizes are given in the user's manual. I do have the big center bolt that screws the wedge into the center of the mount.

You will need an OTA, tripod or pier of your choice (I had it on a Meade heavy duty field tripod), and a tangent wedge to have a fully functional settup for visual or imaging (the X wedge is necessary for long exposure astrophotography using a fork mount). If one were patient and picked up those items used I think you could have everything up and running for under $1000. Just be aware that some improvising will be required and you will be buying a project.

Price: $300 for everything and that is the bargain basement price. I'm happy to answer questions and I'm not in a hurry. I'd rather sell to someone locally who I can go over the details with rather than ship it, with the associated hassles and expense to the buyer. I can pack it up and meet at one of the BRAstro functions with some advance planning.

I am located in south Baton Rouge. You can contact me at "pselaphid@gmail.com."