Procyon

Tiny points of light, with a magic all their own.
Christopher K.

Procyon

Post by Christopher K. »

On 17 February (earlier this year) I was inspired enough by Chet Raymo's drawing of the Procyon-Gomeisa region to take a look with a 10x Bushnell. I tried a few minutes after 8pm CST. "Straight up" from Procyon I ran into Eta Canis Majoris, then further up Gomeisa, Gamma Canis Majoris and Epsilon Canis Majoris. I even saw mag 6.6 K-class HIP 36389 (right under Eta) and mag 6.5 TYC187-1206-1 just next to Procyon!

Christopher K.

Re: Procyon

Post by Christopher K. »

Procyon--the easternmost corner of the Winter Triangle can be found between 8:45pm and 9pm CDT tonight about seventeen degrees to the left of the waxing crescent Moon. It will be about forty-three degrees up in the southwest at that time.

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. »

In honor of the fiftieth anniversary of Apollo 13, view one of the members of the crew's navigation star list. Procyon will be visible beginning at 8:05pm CDT while sixty-one degrees up in the southwest.

[This is an Apollo 13 three-star challenge. The other two are Sirius and Regulus. Can you see all three?]

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. »

Procyon is the brightest star in the constellation Canis Minor (the Little Dog). It is 11.4 light-years away, which means in April 2020 we see it as it was in December 2008.

At about 8:10pm CDT tonight, Procyon should begin to show itself high in the southwest, to the lower left of the waxing crescent Moon.

More information:
http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/procyon.html