Baton Rouge Astronomical Society Forum

It is currently September 20th, 2018, 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 11:42 am 

Last night was trying to "calibrate" the viewfinder on my small Newtonian by Celestron. Find Sirius - easy right? - and adjust the viewfinder in line with it. Had trouble finding Sirius (grrr) and came across an emerald green star not far away. It wasn't flashing or moving any faster. I know stars have "colors" which usually means slightly off white very faint color. However this was a clear emerald green. Even a satellite would not be that color.

I have no earthly idea what that could have been. Checked Stellarium... nope. Does anyone have an idea?

PostPosted: March 9th, 2018, 4:57 pm 

What position angle was it from Sirius. In other words, in which direction was it from Sirius. (Keep in mind, I mean "sky direction" so "north" would be toward Polaris. Also, how far away from Sirius was it, and what magnitude? A select few stars in the sky do have some weird colors.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm 

Excellent questions to which I don't have good answers. My astronomy skills are not strong lately. I would say WNW... in the direction of Saiph in Orion. I was trying to find Sirius and think the scope was aiming around 6.5h / -15^. I don't know the magnitude, was not very bright, although clearly visible through the eyepiece, perhaps 6-7 or less, two white stars of same brightness were close by. I did a lot of observing as a teenager and have never seen a star with that sort of color.

Thanks for asking. Sorry I don't have better answers.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 1:05 pm 

Hi. I'm inclined to believe it may have been some weird reflection going into your eyepiece lens--or it was some aircraft of some sort moving along your line of sight, so that it seemed it wasn't moving at all. I checked a few places on the internet. Not only did anyone else not report this (as far as I can tell) but I don't see any established record of a greenish thing near Sirius.

Nu2 and Nu3 Canis Majoris are about two-and-a-half degrees from Sirius and they are orangish. If those are the two stars you saw nearby (they are magnitudes 3.9 and 4.4 respectively) and they looked white to you, maybe another star (a bluish star, perhaps) looked green. But of course, emerald is a very hard tone of color to mistake.