Baton Rouge Astronomical Society Forum

It is currently November 24th, 2017, 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 14th, 2015, 9:25 pm 

This cute but unassuming star grouping northeast of Aquila has a few surprises, and there's no better time to look than this week. Last night was just amazing! The sky was amazing! It was almost as though the stars had grown muscular and were pushing back as much at the skyglow as they could. Delphinus was very nice. I look at about 8:45pm with a Bushnell 10x and the dimmer stars were majestic! 10 Delphini and Theta Delphini, of course, but even the magnitude seven Hipparchus stars looked good.

Give it a look tonight. A binocular is all that's needed.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2015, 9:28 pm 

On 15 October at around 10pm I tackled U Delphini and EU Delphini. These are both variables. U Delphini ranges from 5.5 to 7.5 over ~1160 days. EU Delphini ranges (erratically) from 6.0 to 7.0 over 62.7 days.

I have little to no experience with variables. I attempted to judge their current magnitudes by comparing them to three HIP stars between them and the main body of Delphinus. The three HIPs are 6.2, 6.6 and 6.8 according to Starry Night Pro Plus. EU Delphini looked at least as bright as mag 6.5. U Delphini looked quite dim--7.3, say.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2015, 4:45 pm 

I got a semi-nice view on 19 October at ~8:20pm, but due to the Moon I didn't look deep. I've been inspired, though, to tackle other dim and obscure constellations.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2016, 4:07 pm 

During last Thursday's BRAS outreach at the Lutcher Library, I placed Delphinus in the AstroScan. As Delphinus really can't take more than 10x for a full view, the almost-18x view cut off its "tail", leaving just the four stars of the main diamond just barely fitting in the field.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 6:54 pm 

Delphinus can be seen this nighttime period between 9pm and 11pm, right near Altair (as usual!).

Below is the NOAA forecast for 9pm to 5am...
precipitation potential, 1%
sky cover, 0%
relative humidity, 48%
temperature, 10˚C
surface wind, SW 5 km/h

Danko's Clear Dark Sky states that during this time the transparency rating will be "transparent" (5 out of 5) and the seeing rating will be "good" (4 out of 5), resulting in a sky rating of EXCELLENT.