Baton Rouge Astronomical Society Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

What is your favorite equipment to observe with?
Refractor Telescope
Reflector Telescope
Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope
Binoculars
The Mark I Eyeball
Depends on what I'm Observing
Don't actually observe - just look at pictures
You may select 1 option

View results
PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 7:58 am 

What you do you like to use when you go out observing?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2011, 4:25 pm 

The Orion Skyquest Dobsonians are nice; I've had the pleasure of looking through Skyquests of three (?) different sizes--6", 10" and 12".

10x50 binoculars are nice for the Moon. Without a mount, 10x is really straddling the line between magnification and steadiness; Wally never recommends anything unmounted stronger than 7x or 8x. 10x50s on a Sky WIndow can be good to lessen the hassle.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 11:55 pm 

We've recently had the pleasure of acquiring a used Orion Skyquest XT10 Intelliscope. The readout capabilities quickly went bad (at least for now). The optics are first-class, however. The Moon is really nice up to even 120x (though the view gets rather dim at that magnification). Jupiter looks good, too. See "Orion Skyquest XT10 Intelliscope" in the Binoculars & Telescope section for earlier comments.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2013, 10:58 pm 

I had the pleasure on several occasions to utilize Edmund Scientific's Astroscan. It's an awesome device for those hard-to-obtain magnifications (15x to 45x).

Although the device comes with its own cradle, I've been using a homemade ring-built-into-stool affair. I don't know if Wally Pursell or Frank Conrad built it. The new Plus version comes with a red dot finder; however, the older model BRAS has came with a skeletal dark metal frame that hooks onto one of the knobs that retain the carrying strap. The end of the frame has a circular 1x sight with a thumb tab to hold it flush alongside the eyepiece holder. Centering a bright object in that circle usually works well.